Social Studies and Community Care Level 5
QQI Course Code 5M2786
This course is aimed at students who want to work as “Special Needs Assistants” in Primary Schools or to work in Social Care.The learner will gain knowledge, skills and the competence to work under supervision and independently in a range of educational and social settings. It can also be a stepping stone into our level 6 Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education course or into Degree programmes in Ireland through our college linkages and the CAO system
A Waterford and Wexford ETB Garda Vetting form must be completed on registration for this course (This vetting form can be obtained from the School PLC office)
- Leaving Certificate or over 18.
- No requirements for over 23s.
60 hours is the minimum requirement for work placement. Work placement must take place in a Pre-school/ Primary School for 2 days per week ( Tuesday and Thursday), once Garda vetting has been received through the Waterford and Wexford ETB, Human Resources Department.
- Community Care – QQI level 5.
- First Aid (certified).
- Care Provision & Practise
- Human Growth & Development
- Safety and Health at Work
- Work Experience
- Early Childhood Education and Play
- Special Needs Assisting
- Social Studies
- Child Development
- 100 euro approximately includes two uniform tunics and a First Aid Certificate
- 50 euro exam fee
- 200 euro materials fee
- 200 euro Government levy (Government levy not included if you hold a valid medical card).
- All students must wear a uniform in college and on work placement. The wine (unisex) scrub top costing is included in the material fee. However students must also wear a black long sleeved top under the tunic/polo t-shirt, black trousers, black shoes and black stockings. A black full zip/button fleece/cardigan is allowed during the colder months. Student ID badges must be worn at all times.
Higher Education Progression
Students that complete our Social Studies & Community Care Level 5 course successfully, can transfer directly into the Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education Level 6 course.
Waterford Institute of Technology
WD149 Early Childhood Studies
WD018 Applied Social Studies in Social Care
WD188 Applied Health Care
WD187 Social Science
WD192 Social Care Practice
WD200 Bachelor of Arts
- Primary School Classroom Assistant
- Carer in the Community
Course Director: Denise Quirke