Course Code: 5M5146
- Leaving certificate, or equivalent), or over 18.
- No requirements for over 23’s. Priority will be given to swimmers.
- Limited places allocated on interview basis (interview held in May and august)
Duration: 1 year full time. Work placement in EVC fitness suite and 10 days in a leisure facility/sports centre
Award: Sports, Recreation and Exercise QQI level 5
Course content: To achieve overall QQI award- 120 credits must be achieved
- Exercise and fitness
- Sport recreation
- Work experience
- Elective modules: all worth 15 credits each
- Sports anatomy and physiology
- Leisure facility administration
- Leisure facility operations
- Customer service
- Accounting-manual and computerised
As part of the course we take part in outdoor activities, kick start level 1 in soccer and also achieve the emergency first aid certificateAwards:
- QQI Level 5 Sport Recreation and Exercise
- RLSS Lifeguard Award
- FAI Kick Start Level 1 soccer coaching
- Emergency First Aid (including defibrillator training)
Basic materials fee:760 euro approximately includes student material fees, student diary, student ID, course hoodie, work experience learners record, first aid cert, FAI coaching course, outdoor activities, QQI exam fees and it includes the 200 euro government levy (you don’t have to pay the 200 euro government levy or your QQI exam fees if you hold a current medical card, are receiving back to education or a VTOS student- therefore overall basic price is 530 euro)Extra materials fee:
If chosen to participate in the RLSS pool lifeguard award, 100 euro must be made payable to waterfront in February to cover RLSS exam fees.
College and university links
- This course qualifies for E.V.C/W.I.T link BB in recreation and sport management, BA in health promotion, BA in exercise and health studies and BSc in sports coaching and performance. There are a number of RESERVED places for EVC graduates on the above courses.
- This course also qualifies for E.V.C/Aberystwyth University link in BSc in sport and exercise science via UCCAS
Course director: Paula Doyle
Enniscorthy Vocational College has an exclusive link with Aberystwyth University in Wales. Over 70 students have availed of the offer and have achieved their degrees. Links are associated with Media Production, Legal Studies, Sports & Recreation, Pre 3rd Level Science and Childcare. Each February Mid-term, Prospective students will go to Aberystwyth with Liam Sharkey to get a private tour of the facilities there.